Forget the lions and tigers (note: uncapitalized means I am not talking about my Detroit sports teams). The most dangerous creature in Africa is the mosquito! Bacteria in the water are not so nice either.
Here's what it takes to **hopefully** stay healthy in Africa:
- Yellow Fever Shot (See pic below)
- HepA/HepB Shots (never finished these in college, so got to start all over again)
- Vivotif Oral Immunization for Typhoid
- Cipro (for a not so happy stomach)
- Z-pak (just in case, for flu, cold, sinus infection, etc)
- Doxycycline (prophylaxis against malaria)
- Diamox (don't have yet, but will probably get for climbing Kilimanjaro. It accelerated acclimitization...just hoping the sulfa allergy won't be bothered by it!)
I'm going to feel like a walking clinic heading into Tanzania, but I think taking these precautions is well worth it.
Countdown: 33 Days!