Saturday, November 22, 2008

Ironman Arizona #1 - Pre-Race (San Diego)

Ok folks! This is going to be a long one. A long SERIES of posts actually. So much went into this race (phyically = 6 months, mentally = 11 months), that one report just can't do this experience justice.

Throughout my posts, you'll start to see a theme....my girls. Honestly, I don't think this race would've been possible without them. Jen, Tina, Elaine (B&G), Mary, Mer, Juls, Joanne, Stacy, and Angie. Not everyone did the race, but all were there throughout the entire journey, and I'm so grateful for that. I signed up for the race because of them (Peer pressure = Jen saying "Do it now, because in 2010 you may be married and knocked up!"). I got through my long rides because of them (6 hours on a bike each Saturday will make you like family). We motivated each other and consumed LOTS of food together (Coke, carbo-pro, Sunchips, Pizza Port, Gu, Pierogis, Fondue, Gatorade, Steak, Frozen Yogurt, Sushi, Crab Legs....ok, I think I'll stop now). We went through this journey together, and even though triathlon is an individual sport, we were a team.

Pat and my family also made this journey possible. Pat and my mom both gave me the encouragement to sign up (STILL working on my Dad, he STILL thinks I'm crazy! :). Thanks especially to Pat for being so patient with me through my training. Since he was on the east coast for the past 4 months, we didn't get to see each other very often....yet, when we did, he completely supported me and the workouts I needed to get in. And since most of our commuication was via phone, he got to listen to endless babbling about my workouts. He never once complained. I am SO SO SO lucky to have a man in my life that supports me the way he does, and shares in a passion for triathlon and staying active and healthy. Thanks Pat! :)


Ok, back to pre-race. Where shall I begin......


T minus 8 Days - Saturday 11/15
Had my last "long" ride with the girls. My workout was to do 30 miles, with the middle 10 miles hard. Most of the other girls had 30 miles as well, so we decided that 2 loops on the Silver Strand in Coronado would do the trick. 1 hour and 45 minutes later, our last long ride was done. Although this was less than a third of the distance of many of our long rides, it was still a thrill to be done. I would find that throughout the week, I hit what I felt were all monumental moments in my training. The last long ride, the last long run, the last pool swim in San Diego, the last pre-race 5am run, the last trainer ride (FYI...the trainer WILL NOT be used for a long long time....spin class or outside until at least mid-January!)

Post-ride, the girls and I stopped at a Coronado cafe for a 2 hour breakfast. See below. Such good times!

T minus 6 Days - Monday 11/17
It's Ironman week! And of course more stressful than I ever imagined. After an unfortunate incident at the lube shop, my transmission pump on my car needed to be replaced. Great! Started stressing big time. A $1600 car repair bill plus hotel, food, gear later in the week in Tempe! Not what I need just before the holidays. Luckily, my car was fixed quickly, and this little debacle kept my mind off of the upcoming race.

T minus 4 Days - Wednesday 11/19
Car is fixed, I'm over the money thing. Now I'm stressing about the race. Am I really going to do this thing? There are moments when I feel nauseous and light-headed. Am I really going to do this thing? It's hard for me to eat...nothing sounds appetizing. Lots of Emergen-C so I don't get sick. Am I really going to do this thing?

T minus 3 Days - Thursday 11/20
Last day of work. I came to the conclusion that I AM going to do this thing. What WAS nerves, turned into pure excitement and emotion. I got teary eyed every time a co-worker wished me luck. Something big was going to happen on Sunday. One of my co-workers is a Deacon at one of the local Catholic churches, and he blessed me just before I headed out the door. Really Awesome! I busted out of work at 1:30 to pick my mom up from the airport and head to Tempe....Ironman weekend was here! :)

1 comment:

Patrick said...

Admittedly, I was a little teary-eyed reading this post. It's amazing to sit back and soak in all that you've been through and accomplished. Although I'm far away, I'm thankful I had the chance to do what I could to support you through this process. I know you would be there for me. I'm very proud of you.