Saturday, May 31, 2008

Ironman Arizona Training Begins.....I now have a coach!


As of May 27, I am officially training for my first Ironman. Less than 6 months until the big day. I have found that to maintain my busy lifestyle, there are things I need to outsource....my cooking (I eat out most evenings of the week), and my cleaning (I wish...I just don't clean). To make things even easier for myself, I have decided to outsource my training plan and work with a coach for IMAZ.

I met Mike Plumb, my coach, shortly after moving to San Diego. He's a top-age grouper, mad cyclist (so, so, so fast), and experienced coach. My friend Jen has been working with him for the past six months, and I saw the crazy improvments she has made, so I figured this could be a great thing for me as well. Plus, this will keep me from second-guessing my own training strategy. I'm looking forward to this journey. Here's a peek at my first week's schedule....

Tuesday: 4 mile run
Wednesday: AM: Swim (2500 yds), PM: 20 mile bike
Thursday: 4 mile am run
Friday: AM pool swim or PM cove swim (I did both...2000 yds in am, 800 yds in pm)
Saturday: 45 mile bike
Sunday: 10 mile run

The first 6 weeks will be tough, because I have class two nights a week. Come July, I have 8 weeks off of school, and then when I start back in the fall, I'll only have one night a week. By then, I should be used to the early AMs. 4:45 is VERY early, but I've learned that I don't need to stay up to 11 pm every night playing on Facebook or watching mindless TV. Bedtime is 9:30/10:00 from now on.

More updates to come...

5 comments:

Ryan D said...

much better!

yeah, welcome to ironman training, where everything that doesn't matters doesn't happen anymore.

you have a serious first week of training... 10 miles already on the long run!

Shan said...

Nice post!! Having a coach will definitely help you in the IM training - wish I had one, maybe in the future.

Can't wait to see you out there in your new Zoot shoes!! :)

For my training, the Whole Foods salad bar became my friend...LOVE that stuff. As did a good helping of Golden Spoon frozen yogurt for recovery!

If you have the time, definitely try to write down your thoughts during IM training. I know it's hard to balance the time, but looking back I wish I had started my racing blog during my training. So many tidbits of info you learn along the way!

Hugs!

Rachel said...

Have fun training for IMAZ. You are going to do GRRREAT!

Jennifer Yake Neuschwander said...

Awesome. Cleaning......unless it's your bike it's not worth it.The only thing you'll be cleaning is your competition's clock. You'll be well prepared for IMAZ. Oh by the way, your grocery bill is going to double:)

Ryan D said...

zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz