Wednesday, July 18, 2007

Up North Michigan (Elk Rapids)






July 17 - 21, 2007


After a 6 year absence, I had the opportunity to go Up North with my family this year. My family spends 1-2 weeks every year at a cottage in Elk Rapids, MI. This was my most favorite place in the world growing up, and after spending some time there again this year, I think it still is.


The cottages are small and rustic. Thin walls, shower curtains for bedroom doors, well water, and no hot water or shower inside the cottage (one community one to share). The air and water are super clean and fresh, and town still only has one stop light. This is one of the most relaxing places on earth. A perfect chance to read a book, lay out in the sun, drink some Bell's Oberon, swim, and roast marshmallows.


Of course, going on vacation did not mean vacation from training. Pat and I brought our wetsuits and did a couple swims in beautiful Elk Lake. We also did a 10 mile run outside of town and got caught in a Thunderstorm. I loved it! I hadn't seen rain in over 6 months, so a nice thundershower felt great on my body!












4 comments:

Susan said...

Jessica,
I came across your blog while searching the Elk Rapids area. My family and I are thinking of purchasing a vacation home just North in Kewadin. I am not all that familiar with the area so far north in MI. Being from San Deigo, do you find the Elk Rapids area to be at all "with the times"? We will be living in London most of the year; we will be used to organic food markets and good restaurants. I look forward to having clean air and more space but wonder if is might be too rural. Thoughts? Thanks!

Abby said...

hi! i came across your blog when i typed in elk rapids michigan. i am from elk rapids and i was just posting on how i miss home. i am a college student at central michigan university, but when i am done in may i am moving to chicago - so i understand how you miss it. i cannot wait to go back to my parents house this summer for Elk Lake summers :)

erblog said...

Elk Rapids is a great place to live, for all the reasons you remember. It's not San Diego or London, but it is charming. You will have to decide for yourself if it is 'too rural' for you.

Unknown said...

Is this blog of Jessica Motyl? I am wondering because when I was bored and looking up Elk Rapids in google I came across this blog and it is describing the cottages that are owned by my family. Gretel's Cottages?